How to Volunteer
To get started, please follow the link to complete our Volunteer Application Form.
If you are interested in group volunteering, see the section on volunteer groups below.
If you have any additional questions, please email Katie Bruchmiller at email@example.com.
Once you've submitted your application, please download, read, and sign the additional forms below. You can submit over email or bring with you when you tour Avondale House or meet with volunteer manager.
- Volunteer manager will be in touch regarding your application
- Tour facility at Avondale House with volunteer coordinator
- Interview with Volunteer manager
- May take place on same day as tour
- Usually on first day of volunteering. Note: volunteering with clients will require extra training.
- Classroom Helper – Assist a classroom with various classroom activities. Will require ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) training, which Avondale House can provide, or the volunteer may provide documentation of acquired ABA training.
- Please review the steps required to volunteer in our classrooms here
- Field Trip Assistant – Assist adult clients with field trips during the weekday, evening, or weekend.
- Lunchtime Receptionist - Avondale House needs a volunteer to cover the receptionist desk from 12:00 - 1:00. Opportunity will require training by our receptionist and a 3-month minimum commitment from the volunteer. Opportunity can also be coupled with admin/clerical work.
- Administrative – Assist our departments with shredding, data-input, filing, scanning, sorting, event prep, or classroom prep.
- Photographer – We need an experienced photographer to take high quality photos of our programs. This may include classroom photos, residential photos, Adult Day Program outings, and school events.
- Videographer – We need an experienced videographer who can capture our students and clients in their day-to-day - in the classroom, on field trips, or in our residences - as well as edit and produce the videos. The videos may be anything from smaller social media vignettes to larger portrait videos.
- Event Volunteers – Support for specific events throughout the year:
- Annual Events - Help us at annual fundraising events such our luncheon (April) and bingo (October) events by helping with setup, working the event, and breaking down.
- Day School Events - also has school events such as field days, carnival, and holiday parties. This is a great way to gain experience with our students and for them to get to know you.
- Landscaping – Avondale House Omeara campus and our residences frequently need landscaping and gardening maintenance. Come help us maintain our flower beds, shrubs, trees, and plants! This is a great opportunity for school service hours or groups!
- Craft Days – Design and lead a craft in our classrooms. Will require coordinating with the volunteer coordinator, who can suggest appropriate projects.
- Vocational & Hobby Specific –
- Cooking – design and prepare a meal with our students or adult clients.
- Nursing – shadow our program nurse, who works with both children and adults.
- Fitness instructor/Coach – design and lead a recreation session for our students
- Family opportunities: Christmas presents, Residents who don’t go home for Christmas – adopt a resident (like adopting an angel)
- Volunteer Days
- Holiday Crafts
- School groups
If your group is interested in volunteering with us, please begin the process by filling out the form below with as much information as possible. Our volunteer coordinator will then be in touch to find out more and to schedule a tour.
Restrictions to Note
- Age restriction: while we do accept volunteers ages 16 and up, we cannot allow anyone under 18 in the classroom with students or adults without an adult accompanying them.
- If you are interested in an internship, please fill out the volunteer form above, but indicate in the form the type of internship.
- For a list of needs and supplies, please see our Donate page for our Amazon Wishlists.