- Autism is a developmental disability that can cause significant social, communication, and behavioral challenges.
- Autism now affects an average of 1 in 88 children.
- Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism.
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the United States.
- More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes, and pediatric cancer combined.
- Caring for all people with autism over their lifetimes costs an estimated $35 billion per year.
- There is no medical test to diagnose autism or cure for autism.
- Autism is a spectrum disorder, affecting each person in different ways, and can range from mild to severe.